If you are here, then you must possibly be wondering about the cost of hiring a traffic lawyer in Texas.
While it is not necessary to hire a traffic lawyer for minor traffic violations such as speeding tickets; It is important to hire one in the case where one commits serious traffic violations.
In this article, we shall discuss the costs of hiring a traffic lawyer in the State of Texas.
In addition, we also give advice on instances or situations where it remains necessary to hire a traffic lawyer. As well as situations where one does not need to hire an attorney for traffic violations.
When should I look for a traffic lawyer?
As stated above, some traffic violations require one to engage a lawyer. Divergently, some traffic violations do not need one to appear in court and hence do not require one to seek the counsel of a lawyer.
For traffic violations where one is not needed in court, one can plead guilty and pay fines through the mail. In some states such as New York, such violations are classified by the law as infractions. An example of an infraction includes parking or speeding tickets.
However, for traffic violations that lead to misdemeanors or felonies, one should seek the services of a traffic lawyer.
In the State of Texas, minor traffic violations that will not require you to contact an attorney include
- Blocking or retarding traffic.
- Disobeying traffic lights, signs, or signals.
- Driving on the shoulder.
- Driving an uninsured vehicle.
- Driving with an expired or invalid driver’s license (has not been suspended or revoked).
- Driving with expired plates or without plates.
- Driving without registration or without proper registration.
- Driving the wrong way on a one-way street.
- Failure to display a driver’s license.
- Failure to signal
For a complete list. Check out this notice by the Texas Department of Criminal Justice.
Nonetheless, if you have committed serious traffic violations, then you should seek a traffic lawyer regardless of the costs.
Some of the serious traffic violations include Driving Under the Influence (DUI), Driving While Intoxicated (DWI), and reckless driving.
In addition, commercial driver’s license (CDL) holders should always consult a traffic lawyer.
This is because CDL holders have much stricter rules.
For example, federal laws list driving with suspended licenses, excessive speeding, improper lane changes, following too closely, reckless driving, and any traffic violations that result in a fatality as serious traffic violations.
In addition, federal laws also list failure to render aid (hit-and-run) and possessing alcohol in a commercial vehicle as serious traffic violations.
Also, if you have multiple tickets within a short period of time, it is always important to consult a traffic lawyer since they can increase your chances of winning in traffic court, hence helping you avoid a license suspension.
The Average Cost of a Traffic Lawyer in Texas
The expense of retaining a traffic lawyer in Texas can vary depending on several factors including:
- the nature and severity of the violation
- the court’s location
- the lawyer’s experience and reputation
- the case’s complexity.
Typically, traffic lawyers charge either a flat fee or an hourly rate for their services.
A flat fee is a fixed sum that covers the entirety of the legal representation, regardless of the time and effort the lawyer dedicates to the case. For instance, a straightforward speeding ticket or minor violation may incur a flat fee ranging from $50 to $500. In contrast, a complex or contested case necessitating a trial may cost between $2,000 and $5,000 or even more.
An hourly rate is a variable fee contingent on the time the lawyer devotes to the case. Hourly rates can range from $100 to $500 or more per hour. The overall cost depends on the hours worked, which can vary based on the case’s circumstances and its outcome.
According to a survey by Clio, a legal software company, the average cost of a traffic lawyer in Texas is approximately $313 per hour. However, this average may not precisely reflect the cost in your specific situation. The most reliable approach to determine the expenses is to contact multiple lawyers and request a price quote.
The Advantages of Hiring a Traffic Lawyer in Texas
Engaging a traffic lawyer in Texas offers several advantages, including:
- Saving time and money by avoiding or reducing fines, penalties, and increased insurance premiums.
- Gaining insight into the court process and accumulating evidence for your case.
- Establishing your innocence or negotiating for reduced charges or penalties.
- Representation in court, legal counsel, and advocacy on your behalf.
- Safeguarding your rights and preserving your reputation.
- Legal guidance and support throughout your case.
- Assistance in mitigating potential consequences arising from road users’ negligence.
The Disadvantages of Hiring a Traffic Lawyer in Texas
However, hiring a traffic lawyer in Texas also presents some drawbacks, such as:
- Covering the lawyer’s fees, which may exceed the ticket fine amount.
- No guarantee of a favorable outcome, as the final decision rests with the judge or jury.
- Dealing with the inconvenience and stress of attending court proceedings or a trial.
- The risk of losing your case and facing more severe consequences.
How to Find a Competent Traffic Lawyer in Texas
If you opt to hire a traffic lawyer in Texas, conducting research and comparing various lawyers is essential. Here are some tips on finding a reputable traffic lawyer in Texas:
- Seek recommendations from friends, family, or colleagues who have previously hired traffic lawyers.
- Conduct an online search for traffic lawyers in your vicinity using platforms like FindLaw or Justia, which provide lawyer profiles and ratings based on location and practice area.
- Peruse online reviews and testimonials from past clients on websites such as Avvo or Yelp, offering feedback and ratings regarding lawyers’ quality and service.
- Reach out to multiple lawyers and arrange free consultations to discuss case details, fees, expectations, and strategies.
- Evaluate lawyers based on their qualifications, experience, reputation, fees, communication skills, and demeanor.
- Choose a lawyer specializing in traffic law, with prior experience handling similar cases, positive reviews, reasonable fees, clear and prompt communication, and an ability to instill confidence and comfort.
Engaging a traffic lawyer in Texas can be a prudent decision if you wish to contest a traffic ticket and minimize or avoid adverse consequences.
Nevertheless, hiring a traffic lawyer entails certain costs and risks that necessitate careful consideration.
The cost of hiring a traffic lawyer in Texas varies depending on several factors, such as the nature and severity of the violation, the court’s location, the lawyer’s experience and reputation, and the case’s complexity.
On average, hiring a traffic lawyer in Texas may cost around $313 per hour. When seeking a suitable traffic lawyer in Texas, perform due diligence by comparing different lawyers and selecting one specializing in traffic law, possessing relevant experience, garnering positive reviews, offering reasonable fees, communicating effectively, and instilling confidence and comfort.