Family law covers various legal aspects related to family and domestic relationships, including:
- Marriage & Divorce: Involves prenuptial agreements, marriage requirements, and divorce proceedings.
- Alimony (Spousal Support): Post-divorce financial support to maintain the pre-divorce standard of living.
- Property Division: Fair distribution of marital assets like property, investments, and possessions during divorce.
- Domestic Violence: Assistance with protective orders and legal processes for domestic violence cases.
- Civil Unions & Domestic Partnerships: Legal recognition and associated rights and responsibilities.
- Marital Expense Reimbursement: Seeking reimbursement for contributions made during the marriage.
- Non-Marital Agreements: Contracts for unmarried couples detailing rights and responsibilities.
- Annulment: Legal process declaring a marriage null and void under specific circumstances
What Does a Family Law Attorney Do?
A family law lawyer specializes in family-related legal matters, providing guidance and representation in complex situations.
They have expertise in state and federal family laws and work with various parties and agencies, including child protective services.
How Much Does a Family Law Attorney Cost?
Family law attorney fees vary by location and experience, averaging around $250 per hour.
They may charge hourly rates, flat fees, or retainer fees.
Retainer fees serve as an upfront payment deducted as services are completed.
Representation levels vary, from consultations to full case management.
Clients may also incur additional expenses like filing fees, court reporter charges, expert witness fees, and travel costs.
How Long Do Family Disputes Generally Last?
Resolution time for family disputes varies based on the issue.
Many are settled outside court, while litigation can extend the process.
A straightforward divorce typically takes about 10 months, but complexity or disputes may prolong it.
Marriage or civil union cases often require a few weeks for document preparation.
Do I Need an Attorney for Help with Family Law Issues?
Family law attorneys are experts in state and federal family laws, handling various issues.
Consult an experienced local family lawyer for advice and representation when dealing with family law matters.