If you got hurt at work and are trying to get compensation, you might be wondering how often your lawyer should talk to you.
It’s important to hear from your lawyer regularly when you’re hurt and not working.
Unfortunately, not all clients get this kind of communication.
According to the American Bar Association, many people complain that their lawyers don’t talk to them enough or neglect them.
How often should your workers’ comp lawyer talk to you?
Your lawyer should tell you upfront when they’ll reach out, especially when important things happen in your case.
They need to let you know when to expect a call or update, so you don’t have to worry or waste time checking if nothing big has happened in your case.
Lawyer-to-Client Communication Frequency in Workers’ Comp Cases
After the first time you talk to your workers’ comp lawyer, make sure to communicate with them at these important moments:
- When you apply for compensation.
- When they say yes or no to your claim.
- When your medical treatment is almost done.
- If there’s a meeting set up.
- When they offer you money to settle.
- When they’re ready to give you the settlement money.
When Should I Be Communicating With My Attorney?
Talk to your lawyer if:
- You’re having surgery.
- You don’t think your injury treatment is enough.
- You stop getting the money you should be getting every week.
- You leave your job or take medical leave.
- The workers’ compensation insurance company offers you a bunch of money all at once.
Frequently Asked Questions
How long should I wait for a response from my lawyer?
You want your lawyer to reply quickly when you try to reach them. If they don’t get back to you in a reasonable time, ask them how often they’ll get in touch. If that doesn’t work, you might have to do something more serious.
How long do most workers’ comp settlements take?
How long it takes to finish a workers’ compensation settlement can change depending on the situation and how complicated the case is. Usually, it takes about 12 to 18 months.
How often should I follow up with my lawyer?
If you haven’t heard from your lawyer, especially when something important is coming up, it’s okay to remind them until they respond. It’s better if your lawyer keeps you updated regularly, so you don’t have to keep asking.