Attorney Alex Spiro is a partner at the New York office of Quinn Emanuel Urquhart & Sullivan, where he serves as Co-Chair of the Investigations, Government Enforcement, and White-Collar Defense Practice.
He is also a renowned litigator who has represented some of the most famous and influential people in the world, such as Elon Musk, Jay-Z, and Naomi Osaka.
Mr. Alex Spiro is known for his aggressive and creative approach to defending his clients, as well as his expertise in various fields of law, such as criminal defense, civil litigation, sports law, entertainment law, celebrity law, and intellectual property law.
In this article, we will explore Attorney Spiro’s educational background, career path, specialization, notable achievements, collaborative network, and contacts.
Furthermore, we also explore some of his notable lawsuits.
Who is Attorney Alex Spiro?
Attorney Alex Spiro was born on December 12, 1982, in New York and grew up in Boston.
Currently, Alex Spiro is associated with X’s (formerly Twitter) owner, Elon Musk.
Mr. Spiro is a member of Phi Beta Kappa.
He is also a Counsel to the REFORM Alliance, an NGO dedicated to reforms in probation, parole, and sentencing through legislation and lobbying.
In addition, he is also the Chairman of the Board of Harvard’s criminal justice initiative, The Fair Punishment Project.
Attorney Alex Spiro studied Bachelor of Arts in Psychology at Tufts University, graduating summa cum laude.
After graduating from Tufts University, Mr. Alex considered a career in medicine and eventually had a brief stint at an adolescent psychiatry unit at Harvard’s McLean Hospital. In this field, he would also run a program for children with autism and Asperger’s syndrome.
In 2008, he graduated from Harvard Law School.
While studying for his Juris Doctor at Harvard Law School, he was also a member of the Harvard Defenders and the Harvard Legal Aid Bureau
Attorney Alex Spiro Career Path
After graduating from law school, attorney Alex Spiro joined the Manhattan District Attorney’s Office as a prosecutor where he worked from 2008-2013.
As a prosecutor, he handled hundreds of cases, including homicides, sex crimes, white-collar crimes, and gang violence. In addition, he also served as a liaison to the FBI’s Joint Terrorism Task Force.
While at the District Attorney’s office, Attorney Alex Spiro also worked with the Conviction Integrity Unit, investigating potential wrongful convictions.
Among others, his most notable achievement while working as a prosecutor was the successful conviction of Rodney Alcala, the “Dating Game” serial killer whom the court found guilty of two New York murders in the 1970s.
Attorney Spiro left the District Attorney’s office in 2013 and joined Brafman & Associates as a partner.
There, he worked with Benjamin Brafman, one of the most prominent criminal defense lawyers in New York.
Attorney Ben Brafman has represented several high-profile clients, such as Sean Combs alias Diddy, Harvey Weinstein, and Dominique Strauss-Kahn.
While at Brafman & Associates, he handled high-profile cases involving celebrities, athletes, politicians, and business executives.
In 2016, he moved to Quinn Emanuel Urquhart & Sullivan as a partner, where he continues to practice today.
Mr. Spiro has previously served on the faculty of Harvard’s Trial Advocacy Program.
He has also been a lecturer at Harvard Law School.
Attorney Alex Spiro Specialization and practice areas
Attorney Alex Spiro specializes in various areas of law that require complex litigation skills and strategic thinking.
He has extensive experience in:
- Investigations, Government Enforcement, and White-Collar criminal defense practice.
- Sports Litigation
- Entertainment and media litigation
- Intellectual property law.
- Cannabis Litigation
- Securities Litigation and Securities Enforcement Defense Practice
- Tax Disputes
- Litigation Representing Plaintiffs
- Crisis Law and Strategy Group
- Blockchain and Digital Asset Practice
- Transnational Litigation
Apart from the above-listed practice areas, he has also represented clients in federal and state courts across the country, as well as in arbitration and mediation proceedings.
Mr. Spiro also advises clients on regulatory matters, internal investigations, crisis management, and public relations issues.
Which case is Attorney Alex Spiro handling currently?
Currently, Mr. Spiro is defending actor Alec Baldwin in a case where he is accused of involuntary manslaughter of cinematographer Halyna Hutchins that occurred during the set of the “Rust.”
Attorney Alex Spiro has been involved in several cases that have attracted media attention.
For example, the $190 million defamation case brought by Vernon Unsworth against Elon Musk over his tweets calling him a “pedo guy” during the Tham Luang cave rescue in 2018
Spiro successfully defended Musk in a jury trial in 2019, where he argued that Musk’s tweets were not meant to be taken literally and that Unsworth did not suffer any damages from them. However, Unsworth has appealed the verdict, and the case is still pending before the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals.
Another case that attorney Alex Spiro is handling currently is the lawsuit filed by Naomi Osaka against Nike over her endorsement deal. In the intellectual property lawsuit, Tennis Star, Ms. Osaka claims that Nike breached their contract by using her name and image without her consent and by failing to pay her royalties and bonuses. She further alleges that Nike interfered with her other sponsorship deals and tried to prevent her from wearing her own clothing line at tournaments. Spiro is representing Osaka in this dispute and has filed a motion to dismiss Nike’s counterclaims against her.
Other notable cases that Attorney Alex Spiro has handled or is handling include:
In a recent case, Alex Spiro represented Houston-born rapper Megan Thee Stallion. In this case, convicted RNB sensation Tory Lanez was found guilty by the court for firing and shooting Megan Thee Stallion.
Additionally, he has served as Elon Musk’s attorney in the acquisition and further restructuring of Twitter.
Furthermore, the list below shows previous and current engagements of Mr. Alex Spiro
- Representing Jay-Z and Roc Nation in various matters involving music rights, trademarks, contracts, and social justice initiatives
- Representing Robert Kraft, owner of New England Patriots (an NFL Franchise), in his misdemeanor charges of solicitation of prostitution.
- Representing Aaron Hernandez in his double homicide trial and appeal of his murder conviction.
- Representing Thabo Sefolosha in his lawsuit against New York City police officers for false arrest and excessive force.
- Representing David Demos in his securities fraud case involving illegal sales practices.
- Representing music artist 21 Savage in his immigration arrest by ICE.
- Representing music artists Killer Mike, Meek Mill, Yo Gotti, and Chance the Rapper in their brief to the Supreme Court on rap music and free speech. In this case, he also co-authored the letter supporting a New York Bill that limits the use of rap lyrics to convict accused people.
Alex Spiro’s Notable Achievements
Attorney Alex Spiro has achieved many notable results for his clients, both in and out of court. Some of his most remarkable achievements include:
- Winning a jury verdict for Elon Musk in the defamation case brought by Vernon Unsworth
- Obtaining a dismissal of a breach of contract and unjust enrichment claim brought by a former trainer of Naomi Osaka
- In February 2023, Attorney Shapiro successfully defended a securities fraud trial brought by shareholders of Tesla against Elon Musk. In this case, a San Francisco federal jury found Elon Musk not liable for securities fraud.
- Securing the release of 21 Savage from federal custody after his immigration arrest by Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE).
- Winning a $4 million settlement for Thabo Sefolosha from New York City for false arrest and excessive force
- Obtaining an acquittal for Aaron Hernandez in his double homicide trial
- In 2014, he represented rapper Bobby Shmurda, who was charged in a 69-count indictment that included murder. The case went viral, with rap music fans starting a campaign called “Free Bobby Shmurda” that was part internet meme, part protest of the U.S. prison system.
- Winning a reversal of the conviction of John Giuca, a man who was wrongfully convicted of murder based on false testimony and prosecutorial misconduct
Attorney Alex Spiro is also a member of:
- The State Bar of New York
- US District Courts of Southern District of New York
- US District Courts of Eastern District of New York
- US Supreme Court
- 2nd Circuit US Court of Appeals
Alex Spiro Collaborative Network
Attorney Alex Spiro has a strong collaborative network of colleagues, mentors, peers, and friends who support him in his legal career. Some of the people who are part of his network include:
- Benjamin Brafman, his former boss, and mentor at Brafman & Associates, taught him the art of criminal defense and trial advocacy
- John Quinn, the founder and managing partner of Quinn Emanuel Urquhart & Sullivan, hired him as a partner and allowed him to work on some of the most challenging and interesting cases in the world
- Elon Musk, his client and friend, trusts him with his legal matters and shares his vision for innovation and progress
- Jay-Z, his client and friend, who respects him for his legal skills and his passion for social justice and music
- Naomi Osaka, his client, and friend, admires him for his professionalism and his empathy
- Killer Mike, Meek Mill, Yo Gotti, and Chance the Rapper, his clients and friends, who appreciate him for his advocacy for rap music and free speech
Attorney Alex Spiro Contacts
If you want to contact attorney Alex Spiro, you can use the following information:
Phone number: +1 (212) 849-7000
Fax number: +1 (212) 849-7100
You can also visit his profile on the Quinn Emanuel Urquhart & Sullivan website.
One of the mantras of Attorney Spiro is:
“The person who thinks about a case the hardest is likely to win…It is not just about thinking; it is about asking questions.”
Alex Spiro attributes his cool approach to matters as one of the strengths that has enabled him to secure multimillion-dollar clients such as Jay-Z, Mick Jagger, and Elon Musk.
Attorney Alex Spiro is one of the most successful and influential lawyers in the world.
He has represented some of the most famous and powerful people in various fields of law, such as criminal defense, civil litigation, sports law, entertainment law, and intellectual property law.
He has achieved remarkable results for his clients, both in and out of court. Notably, helping Elon Musk’s $44 billion purchase of Twitter.
He has also built a strong collaborative network of colleagues, mentors, peers, and friends who support him in his legal career.
Attorney Alex Spiro’s achievements have seen him appointed to the boards of several public and private companies.